Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Who would have thought......

...I'd be starting a brand new blog, knowing that I would have a whole lot more to talk about (if that's even possible), after receiving the news that not only are Kristian and I expecting our first child, but that we are expecting our first children. I'll back up just a bit, to early June. I took the above photo ("Three Little Birds") in my back yard during a very mild, gorgeous evening, ironically enough while I was sitting wondering if and nervously hoping that a child would grace our lives soon. I love this photo because the bird in flight is getting ready to land - symbolic of the moment I was in at that very instance. I don't believe in coincidences and I'm happy that I was aware enough of what was presenting itself to me - and that I had a camera. The bird in flight couldn't, I'd soon enough find out, be taken too literally, since he didn't have a friend with him! (The birds on the right are obviously mom and dad). -------- The day I (finally) got a positive home pregnancy test (I swear those things are like crack), was no doubt a joyous one, although I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not waiting for Kristian to actually get home before I told him.... I called him while he was fishing with Nick. The conversation was pretty brief as I don't think either of us knew what to say. I could hear his smile though. It is an indescribable feeling telling your husband, your best friend, that he is going to be a dad. It was the first of many days through this experience (even as short-lived as it is at this point) that truly felt like Christmas morning. -------- Our first ultrasound was scheduled for July 15th, with me at 6 weeks along. We had been counting down the days to see our tiny little "Leroy" as we had been calling him or her and just sat there grinning from ear to ear at each other in the waiting room of my OB's office. The ultrasound experience in itself is incredible - seeing the tiny, indecipherable blob that is the beginnings of your brand new child... And seeing the tiny, beautiful flicker of it's beating heart - affirming that it is really happening, you're really pregnant, you're really going to be a mom, and the Yahoo next to you is going to be your baby's daddy. :) I really don't ever remember feeling such a pure sense of joy as I did at that moment - except maybe for when Kristian and I married each other, but we were dressed better that day, certainly. I seriously could have laid there all day, I was fascinated, humbled. Then...... (and this is where the proverbial shit hit the fan - cue Airplane scene), the cutie ultrasound tech, Nicole, ever so matter-of-factly made her way over to... "And you know what this is over here, right?" Baby B. As in, there is also a Baby A. "SHUT UP!!" I yelped, throwing my hands over my face which had exploded with simultaneous laughter and crying.... What followed is kind of a blur - you know like when you can't remember what happened after the car first crashed..... I don't even remember poor Nicole leaving the room - although I'm certain I hugged her before she exited. All you ever really remember in those scenarios is how you feel - and what I felt was overwhelming fear, joy and disbelief. I'm not sure how long we stayed in the ultrasound room - it felt like three minutes but it was probably closer to 15 - of which I wish I had video. Stunned mothers were called first, then the rest of all of the family members, and then mere days later, pretty much everyone else on the planet. I would wait, however, 12 weeks to start the blog. :) ------- Yesterday was another day full of nervous anticipation - our 12 week anomaly/nuchal translucency scan (blah blah blah). I was just excited about getting to see the babies again - we've finally settled into the mind set that this is really happening to us, and that we wouldn't want it any other way. I have been a broken record since, oh, our last ultrasound: "I can't wait to see them, I hope they're okay...." "Why wouldn't they be?" Kristian firmly comforts me, everyday. I was pleasantly surprised with the bonus that Dr. Streiff, my OB, also wanted to do an ultrasound! Our appt. was scheduled before the blah blah blah scan, so what a relief to see them before I expected to - and to see them, beautiful, growing, thriving! They looked exactly what they needed to look like, exactly what I anticipated. Baby A is a mover and a shaker, Baby B was in chill mode. Check them out below - does the profile of Baby A (bottom baby) not look like KK?! Whoa.

They are so beautiful. So anyhow, if you made it through this novella, you've made the team. I'm so excited about chronicling this journey - there will be many peaks and valleys I'm sure.... We really do draw on the strength of our bond with our friends and family, so please leave as many comments, well-wishes, advice, scolding, suggestions, etc. that you deem neccessary! We feel blessed beyond words for what God has given us - not only recently with the twins, but through our whole lives - having met each other, lived a beautiful, fun and love-filled life together, armed with the knowledge that it only gets better from here. Thanks for taking the time to share in our joy.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I am so excited and thrilled for you guys. ::: sigh ::: You're going to be an awesome mommy!

And I'm so glad you started this blog! :)

Joe said...

so awesome.

i love your writing. i wish it would show up on the blog in your handwriting!